With a list that includes the Women’s Prize for Fiction 2013 winner, three novels long-listed for this year’s Man Booker Prize and a diverse mix of fiction, memoir, poetry and non-fiction could this year’s Green Carnation Prize longlist be the strongest and most eclectic mix yet?
Chair of the judges for 2013, Uli Lenart of Gays the Word, said “Typically the chair of judges begins by saying how difficult the decision-making process has been. While it was far from easy – especially towards the end when we had to cut some very well written books – it was this list of exceptional books that revealed themselves. The panel of judges worked together extraordinarily well and I am sure I speak for all when I say that the 2013 Green Carnation longlist is impressively strong. Each of these twelve books enriches the reader in its own unique way. Huge congratulations, and indeed thanks, go to the longlisted authors for creating these books. Please do read them all.”
This years twelve long listed titles are…
- Gob’s Grief – Chris Adrian (Granta Books)
- Five Star Billionaire – Tash Aw (4th Estate)
- Maggie & Me – Damian Barr (Bloomsbury)
- Environmental Studies – Maureen Duffy (Enitharmon)
- Fallen Land – Patrick Flanery (Atlantic Books)
- Black Bread White Beer – Niven Govinden (The Friday Project)
- The Sea Inside – Philip Hoare (4th Estate)
- May We Be Forgiven – A. M. Homes (Granta)
- The Kills – Richard House (Picador)
- Fanny & Stella – Neil McKenna (Faber and Faber)
- Almost English – Charlotte Mendelson (Mantle Books)
- Far From The Tree – Andrew Solomon (Chatto & Windus)
For more information on all the long listed titles head to our Longlist 2013 page. The shortlist for the Green Carnation Prize 2013 will be announced on Tuesday the 5th of November 2013.